Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 444 ***Hike #500*** :: Alamos Canyon

Young Calves in Alamos Canyon

Day #444 * Hike #500 * New Track #454
Wednesday February 1, 2012
Alamos Canyon - West Simi Valley, California

My Tripometer: 1.25 Hours * 3.5 Miles * +300 Feet

Trailhead

Directions:From the 101 Freeway in Thousand Oaks, take the 23 Freeway North and stay on until it becomes the 118 East.  Take the 2nd Exit at Collins (Last Moorpark exit).  At the ramp, stay straight on Arroyo.  Follow this for 1.9 miles and look for the opening on your left.  This is less than a half mile past Oak County Park, which I hiked on Monday.

 The Tunnels!

From the trailhead you'll cross the train tracks and reach a fork in the paved road.  I decided that the lower route to the left seemed more appealing.  After a quarter mile jog you'll reach the tunnels.

 Under the 118

 I freaked out and turned back

I hiked in about 20 yards and deemed that this was a dumb idea.  The picture above does not represent the true darkness of the tunnel (camera flash).  It was a longgggg way and without a flashlight or a buddy, I said noway...

 Alamos Canyon Road

Ii went back to the fork and tried the other way.  After a mild hundred foot climb my destination awaits me.
 
 Forever

 The Grassland that I saw from the freeway last weekend


 Cow Line


 Moo..  Protecting it's calves, I determined that I should not proceed

Shortly after the freeway bridge there is a gate in the road (Private Property).  There were a couple of other options but I tiptoed about a half mile and reached the cow line.  I figured at that point I should turn around because I did not want to disturb or upset them.  The area was neat and I imagine that I will come back to explore the side routes at some point...


Day #443 * Hike #499 * New Track #453
Tuesday January 31, 2012
Dennison Park - Upper Ojai, California

My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 1.25 Miles * +50 Feet

After work today I had to run up to Ojai.  I decided to take the back route home (the 150).  Due to the sun going down early, there was not much time for a good hike so I decided to stop at Dennison Park.  I'd actually never been here before and was quite surprised how chill it was.  Cool spot to have an afternoon barbecue or picnic.  There are no actual hiking trails that I could find, but I wandered around the park until dark.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More