Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Day 994 - 997: Memory Lane

Day 1: November 16, 2010

Day 994 * Hike #1287 * New Track #990
Exploring China Flat - Oak Park, CA
Tuesday August 6, 2013
My Tripometer: 1.75 Hours * 4.25 Miles * +1200 Feet

Early Sunset from Day #1

With Mt. Whitney and Day #1000 coming this weekend, I took today to revisit my Day #1 adventure at China Flat.  Of course, on Day 1 I did not actually make it all the way to the flat but the dramatic quick incline and rush back before the early sunset  was well remembered.

Man, it's been a long time!  Following my footsteps from Day 1: China Flat, I did not alternate to the left as I did that day.  Instead I continued straight and down into the flat.  This route was similar to my visit on Day 235: Simi Peak - China Flat.  However, rather than hanging left to Simi Peak I turned right to wander a bit within the flat. 

I did not run and for awhile I just paused down in the flat to soak it all in.  I knew that today would be my last somewhat strenuous day until, the climb to the top of the highest peak of the contiguous United States!

Strolling back down memory lane, I just replayed my first video while writing this post: YouTube: 16 Hikes Complete - November 2010.  This may be a bit of a bummer though.  I think YouTube blocked most of my videos because I edited them to music!  For some reason I can still play it off my computer but I've been told by others that it is blocked.

Back then, my intention was to make a new video each month.  Well, that didn't pan out.  Blogging and editing pictures and videos has taken more time than the hiking itself.  Initially I was super excited about this adventure but as the days racked up into the triple digits, it felt more like a chore at times.  Still, the excitement for hiking and exploring thrived me to the finish line and I did it!  I Hiked 1000 New Trails in 1000 Days, but it was anything but easy...


Day 995 * Hike #1288 * New Track #991
Santa Rosa Trail - Thousand Oaks, CA
Wednesday August 7, 2013
My Tripometer: 1.5 Hours * 3.5 Miles * +450 Feet

Sunset from Day #2

Keeping it close to work and easy on the legs, I revisited my Day #2 Hike at Wildwood Park.  However, with plenty of sunlight, I did not rush nor did I get "lost".  By not getting lost and condensing this loop trail correctly, I was able to complete a New Track, number 991 only needing 9 trails in the next five days to reach 1000!

Check on pics and details from this hike Day #2: Santa Rosa Trail or http://usahiker.blog.com.  I rarely ever go to the USA blog, but I see there that my pics from this day are x'd out.  I do not know why...


Day 996 * Hike #1289 * New Track #992
Old Baldwin Road - Ojai, CA
Thursday August 8, 2013
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2 Miles * +25 Feet


Day 4: Above the Clouds


Scrolling through the first week of my blog and duplicating some of those trails I came across this picture from Day #4.  No, I did not hike here on Day #996, but this may be my favorite picture on this whole blog so I decided to share it again...

Today however was intended for wood gathering.  I would be heading up to Horseshoe meadows on Saturday and knowing you cannot gather wood there, my intention was to wander around these parts to bring back some wood.  Instead, I just did some wandering and decided to forget about it.

I came back here once before with Ayden -- too lazy right now to try to find that blogpost but its on here somewhere.  I recall then we were looking for geocaches.  Ah, someone once turned me on to them but I became so frustrated.  I guess I just like hiking.  Anyhow, no wood here but I did manage to criss-cross several different trails over the river to confirm a new track....


Day 996 * Hike #1290 * New Track #993
De La Garrigue Rd - Santa Ana Creek - Ojai, CA
Thursday August 8, 2013
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 1.5 Miles * +25 Feet

So the Santa Ana Creek system dribbles water into Lake Casitas.  Not much happening this time of year but around the corner from Old Baldwin I drove to De La Garrigue Rd and conspicuously walked around maybe where I shouldn't have been.  No, I did not go all the way to Lake Casitas but I looked it up on Google afterward and it appeared so...


Day 996 * Hike #1291 * New Track #994
Casitas Pass Road - Ojai, CA
Thursday August 8, 2013
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 1 Mile * +50 Feet

I decided to take the 150 past Lake Casitas out to the 101 to head home the long way in a loop.  I've only driven or ridden this route on my bike a few times.  I guess I was still in search of wood but really, I just needed to trounce on some more new ground yet keep it easy and fresh for Whitney.  This new track consists of several stops along the way before hitting the coast.  The road is very hilly and windy.  No real legit hiking trails here after Lake Casitas.  There were some on the right, old school - old map trails.  I've done a couple of them in the past but had no intention today because they would have involved time and energy to climb the long foothills of the Los Padres.  No thank you.  Back to the VTA and back to bed...


Day 997 * Hike #1292 * Duplicate Track
Arroyo Verde - Ventura, CA
Friday August 9, 2013
My Tripometer: 30 Minutes * 1.25 Miles * +150 Feet

I took the day off work and intended to gather firewood and hike a couple of new trails.  I wasn't exactly sure what my new count was but I knew what day I was on and felt like I was behind.  However, between getting an oil change and working at Chill Out unexpectedly, this little morning hike was all I could muster out.  I didn't even hike from my backyard on this one.  I drove around to the park itself and completed just one figure 8 walk on the low trails.

Later that night, after Chill Out, I began to pack.  I was done by 10:00, watched some TV and then went to bed...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More