Saturday, March 5, 2011

DAY 109: NYELAND ACRES

DAY 109: NYELAND ACRES
DateThursday March 3, 2011
Miles: 2.0
Elevation Gain: 25 Feet
Time: 2 Hours
Difficulty: Tu hablas espanol?
Reward: Donations...
Description: Door to Door Donations.  Street vendors carting foods and men on horses.
Where: Oxnard, CA
Directions:From the 101 Freeway in Oxnard, exit on Santa Rosa/Rice.  Turn right on Santa Rosa and it's the neighborhood to the right.
Day one of attempting donations for the seals.  I replaced a hike through the hills with a walk thru the neighborhood.  This area was predominantly spanish speaking and mi no hablo espanol muy bien...  I chose this spot because I needed to go to Costco so; kill two birds with one stone...
Just as I had thought, maybe 2% of the people even knew about the Harbor Seals in Carpinteria.  I had some good conversations, in english, with those who spoke the language and I even paid a buck to the corn man for some good old corn on the cob out of a trash bag.  

Let me tell you, I was more exhausted hiking the streets door to door asking for donations versus running a +2000 foot hill.  I wish I could say that many people gave to the cause but mostly people were looking to possibly mail it in.  **I'm not going to give up.  I am hiking for the seals now and I am determined to make sure that sanctuary is protected all year round!  --By the way, I did see a man on a horse in the neighborhood so qualifying today as a hike in a new place is right on!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More