Monday, July 4, 2011

DAY 231: Missile Park, Pt. Dume, Hidden Malibu Beach & Legacy Park

Point Dume


DAY 231: Missile Park, Pt. Dume, Hidden Malibu Beach & Legacy Park
Date: Sunday July 3, 2011
Miles: 4.0
Elevation Gain: 150 Feet
Time: All Day
Difficulty: Easy day but the off trail at Pt. Dume is dangerous.  Protect your kids and NO Dogs
Reward: Sea Lions & a day with the family
Description: Another all day holiday weekend in Malibu
Where: Malibu, CA
Directions:From the 101 Freeway in Ventura County, exit at Del Norte.  Take this to the end and turn left on 5th Street.  Pass Pleasant Valley and then turn right on Wood (Look for the Pt. Mugu sign).  Wood ends at Pt. Mugu Missile Park at the PCH:

Missile Park, Pt. Mugu

We drove by it yesterday; today we stopped for a visit.  Fact: Pt. Mugu has shot off more missiles into the ocean than any other base in this country.

After our brief visit at Missile Park, we jumped on the PCH to head out of the June Gloom to reach the sunny beaches of Malibu California.  We headed back toward the popular Zuma Beach, where Baywatch was filmed.  Once again, traffic was backed up onto the PCH.  Turning right on Westward was impossible so we drove up to the next intersection.  Turn right on Heathercliff Rd.  Turn left on Dume Rd (across from the shopping center).  Follow Dume all the way to the end and then turn on Cliffside.  On the left you will see the Point Dume Natural Preserve.  There are only a few parking spots on the street up here.  Likely, you will not find a spot.  My wife dropped me off:

Trailhead off Cliffside Drive

Dume Cove

The trail to the left lowers to a secluded beach (Dume Cove as pictured above).  I took the trail to the right.  This will fork; the higher trail will lead you to an overlook.  You'll have to come back down and then follow the lower wooden walkway around Pt. Dume.  As I walked this path, I heard Sea Lions:

Sea Lions on the rocks below

 Climbing Wall separating the Beach


 Private Cove below

 Pt. Dume Beach extending to Zuma

The plan was for me to hike around Pt. Dume and then meet the wife in kids somewhere along the beach.  After leaving the hiking trail, I began to jog the pay parking area for Pt. Dume, which was full.  I then trotted between traffic on Westward and eventually found my wife stuck in traffic.  Unlike yesterday, the secret was out and there would be no possible way to park, period!

My round trip covered 2+ miles over 45 minutes of time.  I spent a good deal of time hiking off trail to the top of the rock where daring enthusiast were rock climbing.  I took the easy route, one step over the roped trail and an easy hike to take in some spectacular views.  Sea Lions, really!!  It was worth it...

 Malibu Hills

We drove south along the PCH in search for a less populated beach.  The picture above represents one of the homes that I will buy when I am done hiking.  Until then, in search...  Passing Peperdine, we turned right on Webb.  Immediately after turning right, we turned right again.  The Malibu Bluffs were up on the right and we passed a few side trails.  I hiked the bluffs on Day 119  from the main entrance off PCH.  From Webb, we found a small public beach about 1.5 miles down.  Even if we hadn't found a beach for the kids, the homes were cool to look at.
 
 Jessi taking the hard way down (there are stairs)

 Police ticketing for open containers and dogs with no leashes

 Diverting sewage water along the Jacobus River


Hungry anyone?  After a long day at the beach, we drove up a few blocks and turned into the shopping center.  The Malibu Country Mart is a nice touristy place to shop, eat and hangout.  We spent hours there playing freeze tag with other kids.

 Legacy Park

There is a hiking walkway that joins the Country Mart.  We walked across the way and it lead to Legacy Park.  This fine dirt trail circles the meadows.  If you're lucky, you may see an owl.  We could have followed this across the PCH and down to another beach, but maybe some other time.  We drove back near sunset.  Once again, the June Gloom stayed north and never did taper off.  Look at how the light formed a horseshoe through the clouds...



Rewind:

Day 229: Friday July 1, 2011
Harry A Lyon Park 2.0 miles +100 feet

This is not a desirable place to go to.  That said, the softball fields are nice.  I played a few games here when I was in a traveling league a year ago.  More recently, I hiked outside this park on Day 76: Avenue TrailI came here today with Domino.  My wife has been taking Sammi to the dog park so I wanted to take Domino somewhere new, alone so we could go at her pace.  This old dumb dog still wants to chase a cat like a little puppy, until she realizes her back legs give out, which make her flip.  As far as I can tell though, she is doing ok!  I took her up into the hills beyond the park, where the homeless live.  She was doing ok.  Once Domi starts chugging along, she's all good!

***Forward Looking  
Happy Independence Day.  Today will be Day 232.  We spent much of the afternoon out at our pool.  I am so over the water and so red from this crazy long weekend.  It will be a relief working in an air conditioned office on Tuesday.  I say that now, but after a few hours I know I'll want out.  Anyhow, I have a hiked plan to see the Firework Show later.  I'll write that up manana...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More