Thursday, October 13, 2011

Day 332: Woodland Oak Trail // Day 329: Harbor Cove & Surfers Knoll

 Victim of Poison Oak!

DAY 332: Wednesday October 12, 2011
Woodland Oak Trail: From Reino to Wendy
Miles: 2.25
Elevation Gain:  275 Feet
Where?: Newbury Park, CA
Time: 1 hour
Difficulty (1-10): 2
Reward (1-10): 4
Description: Connecting the backyard trails of Newbury Park
Directions: From the 101 freeway in Thousand Oaks, exit on Wendy and head South.  Turn Right on Borchard and then left on Reino.  Look for Woodland Oak Pl on the left before the road narrows.  Turn left and park at the cul-de-sac 

 Trailhead

 Mt. Rex rises over the Newbury Park Valley

 Bench overlooking Boney

 Boney Mountain

 Today's peak

 Looking over Newbury Park to Dos Vientos

Yup!  Poison Oak again!!!  I've lost track, but I've come down with it something like 7 times now since beginning this adventure.  I've had the rash break out on my ears and neck before but this is the first time it got into my eye.  I look like the monster from the Goonies, or Will Smith in Hitch.  It's true, if you are allergic to it, the more you come in counter with it, the more susceptible you are.  There is no way to build up an immunity to it, nor have I tried.  In fact, I don't recall ever touching any poison leaf.  When I hiked the Sundown Trail the other day, I followed behind some horses and its quite possible that they stirred it up and the oils must have been airborne.  Whatever the case, this sucks!!!

Nevertheless, I am on a mission and my legs are working fine.  I chose this easy trail today because I knew there was no poison up here.  I hiked from the Wendy Rd. Trailhead last week and today I hiked from Reino.  However, instead of heading to Wendy, I climbed higher just beyond the water tank.  From up here, there are several alternate routes to take.  I suspect they fall down into the surrounding neighborhoods.  For me, I remained on the main path and circled back.  I successfully completed a loop by ending at the cul-de-sac on Astera Ct.  From here, my bike was just a one minute walk up.  Nice... 


Day 329: Sunday October 9, 2011
Harbor Cove & Surfers Knoll
2 Miles  +25 feet





Harbor Cove in Ventura is once of the most interesting beaches to go to if you are looking for star fish, crabs, sea urchants, etc...  Today was warm, water cold, but the kids didn't seem to mind.  Although I missed the Sunday NFL games, I had a great time.  I drank a beer and walked the beach to the end by surferss knoll.  --I have been to the harbor area before, but today was the first time I hiked the entire beach.



Day 320: Friday September 30, 2011
Triunfo Caynon Trail
2.25 Miles  +400 feet

**I snapped pictures with my phone but I was unable to save them!!  I just got text messaging and it turns out my kids took pictures, deleted pictures and sent text messages to friends and relatives.  ---Regarding this trail, I already hiked the first portion of it many months ago.  I found the link on my blog: Day 65 Triunfo Canyon Trail Bridgegate

Today, once I hiked up to the back trail, I hung a left and then another left to hike back to the park.  Nice trail, good temperature ---good times.  Great spot to bring your dogs and/or kids.


Day 321: Saturday October 1, 2011
3-Mile Run at Agoura High School
4 Miles  +25 feet

This used to be one of my favorite places to run.  The Big Blue track was the second track that I ran on when I moved to California.  It was made of the bouncy rubbery matterial.  Nowadays, these surfaces are common but coming from Ohio, my first run in 2002 was amazing.  I believed I ran a mile in about 6:30 back then.  Today's stats:

1-mile: 9.30.27
2-mile: 10.02.16
3-mile: 8.48.43  --  28.20.86
Final Quarter: 1.54.31

Not a great performance, but at least I did it!--If you're paying attention, I posted 4 miles today.  The extra mile is estimated from the two soccer games that I attended.  As always, when I am at a park, I like to hike around.  I kept it short today because I found a baseball at Huntsinger Park (may have spelled it wrong) in Ventura and began pitching against the fence.  My overhand throw was fast but out of control.  My sidearm sailed in right on target!


Day 322: Sunday October 2, 2011
Santa Barbara Beach & Pier
2.5 Miles  +25 feet

Took the family up to the nice beaches of Santa Barbara.  We hiked across from the sand Volley Ball courts all the way to the Pier.  We played frisbee, ate lunch and just hung out (no surfing today).  The weather was a bit cool but it was nice to be out in the Cali Sun.  I took pictures on the pier, but... 

1 comment:

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More