Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day 398: La Brea Tar Pits, Olivera Street, The Grove & Farmers Market

Near the Tar Pits

Day #396 * Hike #447 * New Track #425Thursday December 15, 2011
Camarillo Springs Indoor Arena

My Tripometer: 1.5 Hours * 1 Mile * +25 Feet

 Hmm...

Alyssa had a Viper scrimmage at the "indoor" arena.  Of course, turns out that the small field was outside; and it was freezing, for California...  Alyssa played four games, I think, not sure, cause I went hiking...  Ayden and some other young chaps found a lake beyond the arena.  In the pitch black, we hiked around it.  The small lake goes to the golf course.  Cool find.  Playoffs for the Vipers start in a couple weeks...


 Anacapa Mysterious Sunset

Friday, Day 397 was a duplicate track after work at the Verde.  I took the picture from my house before setting off with Sammi on the familiar 2 to 2.5 mile course.  We had less than an hour before complete darkness.

X-Mas Party; not this year, or maybe...  For seven consecutive years, I have attended my work's X-Mas party.  It really is the one day a year that our owner is gracious, of course only invited employees may attend.  It would be an insult not too, but after spending 10 days away from my kids and having the option of taking them to Alyssa's other soccer team's party, I chose to celebrate with the Eagles.  --Actually, I didn't see much of the kids that night.  This dudes house was tight -- HUGE, awesome lights and good friends like Samuel Adams and Captain Morgan.  --Yea, Good Times!


Day #398 * Hike #449 * New Track #426Saturday December 17, 2011
La Brea Tar Pits
My Tripometer: 1.25 Hours * 1.5 Miles * +25 Feet

 We stopped at Starbucks in Ethiopia along the way

 I filled up in VTA for $3.45.  What's the deal here?!

 The Tar Pits

 The waters were bubbling


There were 4 sectioned off areas

Fun for kids!

...and dragons!

I bet this looks cool at night

This was a neat experience.  But our day was not over yet.  We took the CRV, which does not have GPS so we were phoning my dad in Cleveland who used to live out here, for directions and ideas.  About 25 minutes from the Pits, right around the corner from China Town, our next hike begins:


Day #398 * Hike #450 * New Track #427Saturday December 17, 2011
Olivera Street
My Tripometer: 2 Hours * 1.25 Miles * +25 Feet

 El Pueblo Park & Union Station
There were many more homeless sleeping in this park.  Very Crummy!

Welcome to Olivera Street (Little Tijuana)

The taquito stand to the left is a very popular spot.  Since 1934, they've been serving the finest taquitos.  Once guy ordered 50!  --Honestly though, all hype.  The frozen ones that you can make at home are better.  Sorry, just have to be truthful about it but at least I tried it for myself.  Their sauce was ok, but I would have preferred fresh guacamole, lettuce and sour cream.

Entertainment while you eat or barter

Step inside for a chocolate filled churro at Mr. Churro

Authentic Mexican guitar (made in China)
Buying this $10 guitar would begin a chain of events in all of our lives.

Entertainment (for tips)

A school dance.  The guy singing was amazing!.
I couldn't understand him, but I will add his clip to my X-Mas video

Old Fashion area, cool to explore.  Thanks Dad!

Bye-Bye Birdie; but the day was not over yet...

Guitar Center Hollywood (in between hikes)

We have a winner!

We stopped by to pick up some from picks to strum the little guitar.  However, we were trapped in this store for over an hour.  Alyssa began playing an electric guitar and the guy showed her some cords.  As usual, she took to it like it was second nature.  Hmm, wonder what Santa's going to bring this year...


Day #398 * Hike #451 * New Track #428Saturday December 17, 2011
The Grove & Farmers Market
My Tripometer: 2 Hours * 2 Miles * +25 Feet


 Sammi's first experience on an escalator

 too bad the ice cream place was closed

My first ever Beignet, it was just ok...

Chasing down the trolly

The line for Santa at The Grove was ridiculous.  So, we ventured around the outdoor mall and toured the Farmers Market.  I remember being here with my dad just over a decade ago.  It was my first ever trip to California.  This is a must do if you are going to visit California

Day #399 * Hike #452 * Duplicate Track from Day 39
Sunday December 18, 2011Christmas Tree Lane
My Tripometer: 1.5 Hours * 1.25 Miles * +25 Feet

It's a yearly tradition.  Walk through the old houses in Oxnard to view the best display in the county.  I hiked here  last year: Day 39 Christmas Tree Lane

I didn't have my camera this year and I just looked back at last year and it was during the time that I was unable to upload photos.  Bummer!  There was a Christmas Story themed display right next to the Church.  It even had Ralphie stuck to a lamp post with his tongue.  Cool display but once again, the kids favorite was the Train Table house.  Dude, next year I'm taking pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More