Tuesday, January 4, 2011

DAY 51: AUTUMN RIDGE TRAIL

DAY 51: AUTUMN RIDGE TRAIL
Miles: 3.5
Elevation Gain:  600 Feet
Time: 45 Minutes
Difficulty (1-10): 2
Reward (1-10): 3
Description: A pleasant run on a nice trail
Where?: Thousand Oaks, CA
Directions: From the 101Freeway in Thousand Oaks, take the 23 Freeway North and exit at Avenida de Los Arboles.  Turn right to the end and then turn left on Westlake Blvd.  Take that to the end and you will see the trailhead on the left.  Park on Autumn Ridge Dr.
**MY 51 DAY SUMMARY:  183.5 Miles  +27,775 Feet**
 
Wood Ranch Reservoir
 
Five days in a row, five bodies of water.  This was an unexpected find today.  I once again thanks Dave for sharing his blog.  It led me to think link I shared yesterday, which led me to this trail today.  I printed all the maps I could find on the website and then 10 seconds into my run, there was a sign with a complete trail map of the entire area.  Combining the online maps with maps that I received from the National Park service and now this map, I can just about layout the entire Conejo Valley.
 
Today was cool, again.  Mid 50's, sunny, dry but windy.  The first mile+ is basically all uphill.  The trail is easy and the hill isn't terribly steep but a 30 mph headwind did make it difficult!  I fought thru it for the most part again keeping the idea of the marathon in my mind.  At the Meadow Vista Trail Junction, I slowed down, kept climbing and took pictures.  (The trail map at the the trailhead does not name the trails, but the map online does).  Also, the actual open space does not have trail signs, but the trails are easy to trek and follow the maps precisely.
 
As the trail continued higher, I veered off (as usual), to the highest point to LOOKOUT!  To my surprise, I saw the body of water in the picture above.  I looked this up when I came home to discover it was the Wood Ranch Reservoir.  Also in full view, Simi Valley (the other section of Ventura County).  
I kept trucken, I made good time, I did an extra loop and discovered yet another small body of water:
 
Ok, no big deal and if you came out here in the mid summer, you may only see some left over slummy mud.  Nevertheless, I'm sure this water makes some of the local animals happy :)!  --Day 51 complete.  I will post more on Facebook:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More