Wednesday, January 19, 2011

DAY 66: POTRERO VALLEY CREEK

DAY 66: POTRERO VALLEY CREEK
Miles: 3.0
Elevation Gain:  75 Feet
Time: 45 Minutes
Difficulty (1-10): 1.0
Reward (1-10): 1.0
Description: A jog along the aqueduct.  If you're daring, you'll jump the fence and run to the lake.
Where?: Westlake Village, CA
Directions: From the 101 Freeway in Thousand Oaks, exit on Westlake Blvd and drive south.  Turn right on Bridgegate and then immediately park in the parking lot on the left.
**MY 66 DAY SUMMARY:  233 Miles  +36,225 Feet**
 This is me after work before setting off on today's adventure!
 
I decided to head back to the aqueduct that I passed yesterday in my pursuit back to the car.  I learned that this waterway is known as Potrero Valley Creek.  With such a nice name, it's quite disappointing that this waterway is quite ugly.  There are even signs that read "Warning, reclaimed water", or something like that.  Bottom line, the water is not for drinking.  Although, the ducks didn't seem to mind.

I ran along a cement sidewalk to the west.  About a half mile into it, the linear park intersects the Westlake Elementary School area.  I kept my pace along the path and reached the end, which was right where I came out of the mountain yesterday.  If I would have only looked this direction, I would not have jogged Potrero Road.  

I turned back and then crossed Westlake Blvd.  There was a locked fence preventing you from entering this portion.  I assessed the situation and determined that I was meant to climb the fence and continue jogging.  There were more ducks on this side but the run only lasted a couple minutes.  I hit another locked fence at Triunfo Canyon Rd, so I jumped that and crossed the street.

Westlake Lake
 
This lake backs up against an all residential neighborhood.  There is no trail around it, so for normal people like you and me, this body of water is worthless.  I snapped a few shots, ran down Triunfo a little ways just to make sure I wasn't missing something, and then jumped back over the fence back to my car...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More