Friday, January 28, 2011

DAY 74: RANDOM HIKE IN THOUSAND OAKS

DAY 74: RANDOM HIKE IN THOUSAND OAKS
Miles: 1.25
Elevation Gain50 Feet
Time: 45 Minutes
Difficulty (1-10): 1.5
Reward (1-10): 2.50
Description:
The oasis in the field
Where: Thousand Oaks, CA
Directions: From the 101 Freeway in Thousand Oaks, exit at Moorpark and drive North.  About a mile up, turn right on Wilbur.  Take that to the stop sign and turn left on Yorkshire (Holdencamp is the same street to the right).  Go slow over the speed bumps and turn right on Combs.  Take this to the end and park on the left.
**MY 74 DAY SUMMARY:  258 Miles  +39,825 Feet**
Well, it doesn't look like much, but what are you going to do.  I had plans to meet up with the wife and kids after work so I found a spot down the street from my work to explore.  I began walking through the overgrown grass and the ground was all lumpy.  This was a gofer haven!  I walked to the right of the tree and then into the tree.  I call it, the oasis.  I sat down on the rock and ate my sandwich.
After a quick lunch, I continued across the lumpy field and found another oasis.  I think it was someone's home?:
Ok, it gets more interesting.  I left this field and crossed the road.  I went under the 23 Freeway and a walkway was being built.  I continued further into a park and the scoreboard identified the area as Conejo Valley Ballpark.  This is where Thousand Oaks holds its annual Conejo Valley Days.  This is also the spot where I played football with the guys a few days before I began this hiking adventure.  If you recall, I had a pulled groin and my initial hikes I had to step my way out of that injury.
With time running down, I went back under the freeway along the unfinished path.  The fence portion was complete but the ground was not.  It looks like they will cement in a sidewalk but it would be better if they made a fine dirt trail.  Just past the freeway, there was a wooded section that opened up to the right.  A sign read, "No camping or vehicles".  Well duh, I had to check it out!
  
Bring your breadcrumbs!  The trails back here were impacted with dirt mounds, perfect for my son to ride his bike and jump.  With that said, I found a cute little spot.  This area will see increased traffic once the sidewalk is complete, but just remember you saw it here first.  --What time is it?...  Lunch break over, back to work! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More