Thursday, April 14, 2016

1000 Hikes Reborn - Failed!!!

After
Before


52 Pounds in 52 Weeks

New Year's 2016 Weight: 240.9

Week 15 Weight: 236.1

Total Weight Loss: -4.8 Pounds


The "Before", Year 2003 at 178 Pounds.
The "After", Week #1 of my 52 Pounds in 52 Weeks Challenge at 240 Pounds.

Thing is, if I am not careful, I can bounce up to 265 pounds like that, and here is why.  I am injured, some strange upper calf pop.  Now, if this were my first Rodeo, my first 1000 Hikes, I would just Kobe Bryant it, come up and shoot the free throws thinking that I will finish up the game.  But at age 41, I am no Kobe, not this time around.  I've been there, done that, drinking a beer and gaining another pound as I write this.

Okay, so what led up to this...


Course 26: Royal High School
High Above Royal High School

In the rain 2.29 MI ON 4/9/2016

DISTANCE

2.29
miles
CLIMB 

*200 ft


BEGINS IN:
Simi Valley, CA, United States
CREATED BY:
Jeremy Jacobus Best Time: 1:10:13
DESCRIPTION:
This is a 2.29 mi route in Simi Valley, CA, United States. The route has a total ascent of 10.69 ft and has a maximum elevation of 820.18 ft. This route was created by Jeremy85135177 on 04/09/2016. View other maps that Jeremy85135177 has done or find similar maps.










Map Options

GrilledCheeseTruck.com (Perfect for a rainy day)
It's the co-conference track meet.  Ayden will be running in the 200 meter today, the last event of this day.  Thankfully, we knew this so we did not show up at 8am like most of the other runners.  However, we did appear at 12:30 and due to rain delays and so many teams competing, Ayden did not run until 4:30.

Well then, this gives me a chance to; 2.29 miles around and around and up and down.  The cement bleachers rise approximately 35 feet in elevation.  I did those a few times, could have done more but kept it easy.  Passed the time, Ayden ran somewhere around 30 seconds on his 200 meters.  He won the heat that he was in but as a first year youth, did not make Varsity.  Nevertheless, good job for him to run that hard after taking two track meets off from our RV Vacation!


 Course 27: Royal High School (Part 2)

I'm on Long Jump Rake Duty!

around the track 2.08 MI ON 4/10/2016

DISTANCE

2.08
miles
CLIMB 

*200 ft


BEGINS IN:
Simi Valley, CA, United States
CREATED BY:
Jeremy Jacobus Best Time: 50:42
DESCRIPTION:
This is a 2.08 mi route in Simi Valley, CA, United States. The route has a total ascent of 12.51 ft and has a maximum elevation of 822.93 ft. This route was created by Jeremy85135177 on 04/10/2016. View other maps that Jeremy85135177 has done or find similar maps











Map Options

The Long Jumper!

Today was a slightly different Course.  Venturing onto the field, raking the dirt for 3 hours and then hiking around that artificial grass back and forth while kids warmed up.  They probably looked at me like, what is he doing?  Is he lost?

The long jump part was sweat exhausting.  Blistering my hands - I am such a baby!  But check this, if my 1000 Hikes was not reborn, I would have only been; not Be, which I was, alive beyond the standard!  And to keep it up...

Course 27: Continued...

Simi Valley Town Center

THE MALL 0.79 MI ON 4/10/2016

DISTANCE

0.79
miles
CLIMB 

50 ft


BEGINS IN:
Simi Valley, CA, United States
CREATED BY:
Jeremy Jacobus Best Time: 21:18
DESCRIPTION:
This is a 0.79 mi route in Simi Valley, CA, United States. The route has a total ascent of 50.47 ft and has a maximum elevation of 1,011.45 ft. This route was created by Jeremy85135177 on 04/10/2016. View other maps that Jeremy85135177 has done or find similar maps.










Map Options

This place has taken a dump.  It opened only a few years back and the Gelato store I wished to take Ayden to was Out of Business.  It's like one of those strange towns, with a carnival, and only a few weirdos walking around.  Okay, so we were those weirdos, walking around.  I pushed the pace to call it a hike and gained the elevation so that Ayden could use the restroom.


Course 28: Juanamaria Park


Where is the Geocache?

ZIGGY RUN 2.64 MI ON 4/11/2016

DISTANCE

2.64
miles
CLIMB

49 ft
AVAIL. POINTS
BEGINS IN:
El Rio, CA, United States
CREATED BY:
Jeremy Jacobus Best Time: 48:15
DESCRIPTION:
This is a 2.64 mi route in El Rio, CA, United States. The route has a total ascent of 49.8 ft and has a maximum elevation of 371.78 ft. This route was created byJeremy85135177 on 04/11/2016. View other maps that Jeremy85135177 has done or find similar maps.










Map Options

If nothing else, I love the pattern that the run made.  It's like a Christmas Present with a bow tie in the park...


I did most of the damage while Ayden was at Piano Lessons.  With Sammi in my left hand and Ziggy in my right, I was running awkwardly and at times, dragging Ziggy.  I was stretched like Jean Claude Van Dam in Blood Sport.

The shrubs in this title post were sawed.  What happened?  I recall in my 1000 days when I began the search for Geo Caches, I found a pill bottle here, my only GeoCache actually found.  A 1000 Hike buddy of mine, Chris, goes for those caches on every adventure...

Well, I think the Cache is gone.  But, after Piano, this is what Ayden did:


Yes; One day he will be like Dad, Like Mike, and fly through the air...


Course 29: The Injury


Trying to Rally off 29 Days in a row, I elected to take my talent to the court.  After missing my first five shots, like Kobe, I tried to drive in for a layup, a sure make, but then it happened.  A strange pop in my upper left calf, just under the back of my knee.  My jumping leg - I knew right away; the shot did not go in.

Shortly after I completed my 1000 Hikes, I tried to play in on a game of flag football.  It was the 2nd play of the game and I made a sharp cut, just like I would have done 10 years prior.  However, my right leg exploded!  It was no Charlie Horse - but similar to the point where I needed to toe up my foot to my head.  Then, I hobbled off the field and did not return.  Nor did my calf return to my leg.

The injury lingered for months.  With no medical insurance, I just dealt with it; a calf the size of my thigh and a limp walk that suggested cane help.  To this day, I cannot say that I am fully recovered from that, but I make do.

Well, I Day Course 29, it happened again but on the other side.  Urgh, it suck getting old.  It's like I am too fat to stretch, or is it that I am lazy and just don't commit the time, to prepare.  I am doing things wrong, I am no youth.  So now, I have to deal with it - but, like Kobe, I came back out...

Notice my left foot
 I would normally power jump with my left foot, but by the hands of Ayden snapping the photo, you can see that I jumped off my right and my left is pointing high so it does not pull...


Again, left up in the air.  What am I doing?!  --Well, I need to shoot around for an hour to call this a completed course.  And I did, and in that time I put up 300 shots and made approximately 130 of them.  My movement was very limited, but I did it.  But what did I do?



I took this picture about an hour ago.  A beer and a pound later, I suspect that tomorrow I will be right back at 240.  Now, my injury is limp worthy, so I can get through this.  Nevertheless, I did no activity yesterday.  Therefore, about a month into being 1000 Reborn, I have Failed!

Not sure what I am going to do now?  I took the day off work; I am still committed to 52 Pounds in 52 Weeks, but maybe I wait to the last minute?  This was not the goal.  I cannot do it the way I used to.  Hmm, my wife is a personal trainer.  Maybe I should start listening to her?  Well, she is not here right now, so I am ordering a pizza...

To Be Continue, maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More