Wednesday, December 1, 2010

DAY 17: CHEESEBORO CANYON TRAIL HEAD

DAY 17: CHEESEBORO CANYON TRAIL HEAD
4.5 Miles  +700 Feet

17 Day Summary: 64.5 Miles  +13,100 Feet



I intended to do the smaller loop around the picnic bench and head back on the Modelo Trail, but as usual, my map reading skills or memorizing of this map was not in tune.  To reach the trail head, take the 101 Freeway south from Thousand Oaks and exit at Cheeseboro.  Make your way to the North, pass under the Old Agoura sign and then turn right on Cheeseboro.  Keep going past the one lane bridge and then turn right and follow the drive back and to the left and then park.  If you are going to ride a mountain bike, park in the lot right off Cheeseboro.  This area is well known for great Mountain Biking.  It is the one area of the Santa Monica Mountain Range that is North East of the 101.  

 Well hello Mr. Coyote!

So far so good.  The trails are well marked.  Let's go to the right.

Cool, an Overlook Trail, let's check it out.

 Up we go.  There sure are a lot of crows around here.  I can caw like a crow.


Boo Pollution!  From the distance, I thought I was going to be able to climb up on that platform and overlook everything.  Guess not.  That explains all the crows!  Views from up here were ok, but I got to get a move on.  With the sun going down, I have some mileage in front of me. 


 Maybe all this outdoor stuff is starting to get the better of me.  That's not me, is it?

 Well, I didn't anticipate seeing this area.  Remember Day 1; China Flat?  That volcanic rock formation
is the mountain I climbed that started this whole thing.  Other than that day, I've never been in this area.
 

 Just an FYI...
I've been running the majority of the time.  It feels like I am going the right way back.

Found the hidden picnic table.

 It's getting dark and I wasn't 100% sure where I was.  So when in doubt, follow the crow.
My intuition suggested that my trail was 0.6 miles away.  I ran there in 4 minutes!

 In the dusk, a few left over bike riders had passed me.  Funny enough, when there was more light and the situation was uncertain, they were nowhere to be found.  I jogged the final stretch and then crept through the creepy parts.  I saw two more coyotes lurking about but no big deal.  So, 17 days in the books.  I haven't really lost any weight.  I guess I'm just getting warmed up... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More