Saturday, December 11, 2010

DAY 27: THE BEACH @ SEACLIFF

 27 DAY SUMMARY: 95.25 Miles  +18,125 Feet

DAY 27: THE BEACH @ SEACLIFF
Miles:  1.0
Elevation Gain:  25 Feet
Difficulty (1-10):  5
Reward (1-10): 5
Description: Hike a quarter mile along the beach until the waves meet the rocks.  Then walk back, go around the danger and walk a quarter mile the other way and then back.
Directions: From the 101 Freeway in Ventura, head north and exit at Seacliff.  Turn left on at the stop sign and follow that road up and then under the freeway.  Turn right at and park at the end.
 
I'll never run out of trails hiking the coastline of California.  Today I just did a little bitty bit.  My shortest hike of the 27.  Still, I could have just gone to the beach like most people do and lay out.  Not me!  I hiked the entire area with my son and dog.  Next time, I'll find a 5+ mile stretch to be dropped off/picked up.

Well you might be wondering why the difficulty on a one mile walk and 25 feet elevation gain has a difficult rating of 5.  Well, let me tell you, I went here during high tide and although it wasn't really a big deal to me, my son and dog did not find it as easy.  In fact, the stunt we pulled was foolish.  I do not recommend crossing the rocks between waves ever!  We were fortunate that no one got hurt, but STUPID, not a good idea.
It was 70 degrees+ and sunny.  Not bad for a typical December day.  Meanwhile, my parents are still suffering the 20 degree chills and foot+ of snow in Cleveland.  Um guys, ARE you ready to retire yet to Cali.  You can rent my condo from me; I'll give you a family discount of 5%.

Last night was my holiday party.  For the first time since I started working there, I left the party early and only had two drinks the entire night.  This was a victory for me because if I had done what I usually do, I would still be sleeping it off, thus missing not only my Day 27 Hike, but I would have missed Alyssa's soccer scrimmage this morning and her upcoming battle 20 minutes from now!  Yikes, gotta go.  I'll post some pictures on facebook and link a video to YouTube later... 

Day 27: Ayden Vs. The Wave:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPqVMgGuSHI

Rewind from the first 16 hikes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97PMbNevpow 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More