Friday, December 24, 2010

DAY 38: SERRA CROSS PARK

DAY 38: SERRA CROSS PARK
Miles:  2.5
Elevation Gain:  500 Feet
Time: 1.25 Hours
Difficulty (1-10):  4
Reward (1-10): 4
Description: Overlook Downtown Ventura from a very popular location "The Cross"
Where?: Ventura, CA
Directions: From downtown Ventura, drive up Kalorama past Poli and turn left on Sunset.  Take Sunset all the way up and around to the end.

***MY 38 DAY SUMMARY:  137.25 Miles  +21,550 Feet***

Less than 24 hours from vomiting in Cleveland, I was contemplating going to work on this Wednesday.  Instead, I stayed home and updated this blog.  I was feeling quite a bit better as the afternoon was aging, but I still felt very weak.  Nevertheless, I mustered up enough strength to make this journey before sundown.


Most people (high school kids) probably go up to the cross and make out with their mates.  Let's call this spot, Inspiration point.  The circular parking area is raised in front of a large cross, which sets steeply above downtown Ventura.  This is a great place to come and watch the sunset, fireworks from the fairgrounds or just awe at the ocean and pier.


I found out that while I was gone, it virtually rained for 7 days and 7 nights.  This morning was no exception, but the afternoon opened up brilliantly.  At about 3:30, I left with Domino to take on the adventure.  After strolling around the immediate area, I hiked up the sloppy muddy hill behind me.  There was an obvious route to follow.  This led to a closed paved road and then up a very steep hill.  The traction due to the recent rains made it quite difficult.  At the top, I wandered into an old gun range.  Maybe they still use it, I don't know?  I didn't discover what this spot was until I hiked back out the other side and read the signs, oops...


Domino saw a deer and began chase.  I think about midway up the next brush filled hill. she realized that she was nearly 12 years old and had no chance to catch the doe.  I continued to walk down a closed pave road and then veered off to the right.  I rounded the edgeline of this ridge and then worked my way back to the car before sundown.


There is more to explore in this region, albeit not much more that isn't on private property.  There appears to be way to trek towards Two Trees if we had followed the deer, but maybe I'll try that long adventure on another day.  So, I did it.  Hiked in the rain, snow, hot, cold and while I've been injured and sick.  I'm going to keep going, no matter what, no matter where.  I could have just as easily today stayed in the house, but why do that when I am perfectly capable of getting out?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More