Monday, August 29, 2011

Days 287 & 288: Magic Mountain & Ventura River

Look into the eye of a wild rattlesnake!

Day 288: Monday August 29, 2011
Riverview Trail (Ventura River at Oso Ranch)
Where: Ojai, California
Distance: 2 miles +50 feet
Time: 1 Hour  
 
 This guy was way LOUD!
(Look at the size of his rattler!)
 
Directions:
From the 101 Freeway in Ventura, take the 33 north to Ojai.  Beyond the freeway end, drive past the town of Casitas Springs & Oakview.  You will then enter the "fast food district" of Ojai.  At the next light, turn left on Baldwin (State Route 150).  About 1000 feet up, turn right on Rice (not white on rice).  You will stay on Rice for several miles.  You will pass the main parking entrance to the Ventura River area that I hiked on:
Keep going straight and when you reach Fairview, Rice will turn left and go down a small hill.  Turn left on Myers Road at the bottom of the hill.  The street turns to the right about 750 feet up but you will keep driving straight past the gate.  Go slow over the speed bumps because they are large.  There will be horses on your left and the parking area will be straight ahead:
 
 Today's Trailhead

I came up to Ojai today to drop off Domino at Rich's house.  Rich and his son Noah fathered Domino for several years while I was trying to adapt to California.  Domi has been doing pretty well lately.  She is walking better but she still needs assistance raising to her legs and I do pamper her.  Her reuniting with Rich and his dog Java should be great for her!

I was exhausted and sick feeling all day.  I spent wayyyy toooo many hours out in the sun yesterday and; ugh, I just felt horrible.  Fortunately, I arrived at the trailhead in the early evening hour where the temperature was not too nasty!  Once on the trail, I felt GREAT!  I could have walked forever but I didn't.  Ayden joined me for today's little adventure:

 We followed the Riverview Trail for awhile

 The main parking area is just up that cliff

 Refreshing

 Sammi Loved it!

 The first river crossing...

The first crossing was completely dry but in the rainy season, this fills up quickly.  We sorta marched in circles and never reached the remaining water holes.  However, some locals said that there was still some left over water out there yet after a very hot and dry week, much of the remaining water had evaporated.  Rather than go back to snap a picture of the water, we messed around with a rattler and then:

Entering Oso Ranch.  Wrong Way!  Turn Back...

Once you skedaddle away from the private area, the trails are pretty easy to follow.  There are many signs posted but the low end area around the river all looks the same.  Actually, I never intended to go too far today.  I am saving the Rice Canyon Trail and beyond for a day when I can dedicate the time...


Day 287: Sunday August 28, 2011
Magic Mountain
Where: Valencia, California
Distance: 7.5 miles +700 feet
Time: 10 Hours 





From 10am to 8pm; this was one long day!!!  The temperature reached a high of at least 105.  We did not just walk from ride to ride, we charged.  We circled the entire 26 acre park at least twice and climbed the big hill in the back 4 times!  If there wasn't an amusement park here, this would be prime hiking grounds.  No doubt was today considered a hike.  We all drank sooo much liquid yet it was never enough.  Dehydrated still from this crazy day!  It was a relief getting wet.  The roaring rapids did just that, but then my feet were soaked and -- BLISTERS!  I hate walking on concrete!  --I felt like a good though for awhile.  I rode on at least a half dozen roller coasters but I could not keep up with my 8-year-old.  Way too dizzy!  My favorite rides were Goliath and Apocalypse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More