Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Day 316: Ormond Beach Preserve

Hueneme Pier from Ormond Beach

DAY 316: Monday September 26, 2011
Ormond Beach Preserve
Miles: 2.25
Elevation Gain:  25 Feet
Where?: Port Hueneme, CA
Time: 45 minutes
Difficulty (1-10): 1
Reward (1-10): 2
Description: No Beach Access!  Hidden preserve - polluted!
Directions: From the 101 freeway in Oxnard, exit on Oxnard Blvd and head south.  Take this all the way through the city and stay straight as it turns into Saviers.  At the end, turn right on Hueneme Road and then turn left on Perkins.  Take Perkins to the end and turn right in the parking lot.  There are faster ways to get here but no matter what you do, you'll have to drive past some of the slummiest parts of Ventura County.
**MY 316 DAY SUMMARY:   Miles  + Feet**

 Take the bridge across the channel

 Polluted rainbow in the water

 Careful not to step in water

 There is no escape

 I surprised the homeless people living here

 Point Mugu is just beyond the Edison building

 aw, so cute...
This could be a nice area if it wasn't in the poorest part of the county.  I was afraid for my car when I parked it because there were cronies smoking up and hoodlums drinking beer while blaring their music.  As I turned down Perkins from Hueneme, I nearly ran into two bikers that rounded a corner real fast.  Crazy enough, I later saw these two clowns by their tent.  They said I scared them; likewise...
I suppose my mission today was to reach the beach and connect the dots but it's not happening from here.  Unless I was going to swim through it, it's impossible to reach the beach.  I walked as far as I could go to each corner.  There is a larger channel blocking you from the nicer Surfside Condo area.  You are better off parking at the Bubbling Springs, feed some ducks and then walk to the pier from there if you choose to hang out in this area.
Rewind:
DAY 312: Thursday September 22, 2011
Glenwood Park
Miles: 2.25
Elevation Gain:  50 Feet
Where?: Moorpark, CA
Time: 1 Hour
Difficulty (1-10): 3
Reward (1-10): 2
Description: Cut through the fence and run along the ravine
Directions: Off Tierra Rejada In Moorpark
Next to this little park is the Moorpark River.  From the park, I found a cut through in the fence and ran to the left.  I saw some homies walking along the channel drinking a 40 out of a brown paper bag.  It reminded me of Cleveland.  They prolly wondered what kind of guy I was for wearing spandex and running, but I really didn't care.  I made it to a bridge and across the way was a large soccer park.  Surprised Alyssa hasn't played here yet.  I turned around and went back thinking that I will job the other side tomorrow.
DAY 313: Friday September 23, 2011
Arroyo Vista Community Park
Miles: 2
Elevation Gain:  50 Feet
This is the park that I saw yesterday, adjacent to Moorpark Highschool.  I drove to the back by the soccer fields but decided to hop the fence near the entrance and hike along the other side of the river.  I made it to a bridge turned around and came back.  Nothing to glamorous about it but I spent a good sweaty hour to work off most of the food that I ate during the week.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More