Friday, April 5, 2013

Day 860: Red Rock Canyon from Stunt Road - Calabasas Peak Motorway - Red Rock Canyon Trail

Dusk over Calabasas

Day #860 * Hike #1073 * New Track #841
Red Rock Canyon - Calabasas  California
Calabasas Peak Motorway - Red Rock Canyon Trail
Monday March 25, 2013
My Tripometer: 1.75 Hours * 5.5 Miles * +1100 Feet


 Calabasas Peak Motorway Trailhead (across the street)

Directions:
From the 101 Freeway in Calabasas, exit Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon and head south for three miles.  Turn left on Mulholland Highway and continue along this awesome road for 4 miles.  Turn right on Stunt Road and at exactly a mile, look for this turn out on your right.


I've explored this trailhead once before.  It was on a day that Jess and I went for a long motorcycle ride and I recently thought about this when I climbed Calabasas Peak a few weeks back.  There is a trail which leads down from the parking area but today you will cross the street and begin hiking up, and up and...

 Turn right at this junction to head to Red Rock
(going straight will lead you to Calabasas Peak)

 The fire road takes you much lower...

 It's way cool down here...

 Geology is sick with it!

 Perfect spot for a picnic...

Creepy...

 Red Rock Canyon Trail off to the left

I didn't know this at first so I passed it.  Good thing I did because further down the fire road were some other side trails.  Look off to the right, through the bushes, a trail leads here...

 stairway to coolness...

 Nice!

 Chill Out

 Sideways Hot Tub - Insane!!!

 Keep on exploring off trail

 Some easy bouldering coming up

 It's a legit trail

 take the stairs...

 The rock ledge...

To reach this point you will need some upper body strength.  It's not extremely difficult but it could be a bit of a challenge for some.  I used my best judgment and turned back down when it made sense.  I then continued up the fire road...

 Huh, I guess I could have parked right here, lol
(at least I save a few bucks)

 Continuing past the parking area

 Follow the road - I believe it leads to Old Topanga Rd.

 Yeah, I'll need to come back here from this way...

I turned back around with the intention of just heading back to the bike.  However, I decided to make more of an experience out of this trip so I began to hike up the Red Rock Trail.  I wasn't sure where it was going to go, so here goes...


 Nice Trail...

 I love you Jess

 I'm in the heart of the awesome views

 reminds me of Vasquez Rocks, well, sorta...

 uh, don't forget that we are increasing elevation with every step...

 See, it's the Red Rock Canyon Trail...

Calabasas Peak dead ahead, and I do mean dead...

The Red Rock Trail went right, so I went off trail through here...

So, this was a big mistake.  It appeared that the Red Rock Canyon Trail loops back toward Old Topanga.  I was already well over an hour into this hike and the sun started to get tired.  I needed to get my butt up to Chill Out so I figured what the hay, maybe I could find a cut through to lead me back to the Calabasas Motorway or Peak.  Actually, I mostly doubted this idea because it was quite clear that this hill was running out of elevation and the only way to go higher was to go down into a canyon first.  Nevertheless, I pushed passed some wicked brush and then the unmarked trail opened up again.  A sign of hope until it quickly closed and got stupid.  The whole time, I was able to see the road that I needed to be on.  It was far off to the left.  I was willing to battle straight ahead to reach the peak and then come down the other fork but, at some point, I said forget about.  Way to crazy and overgrown, not worth it.  I essentially ran all the way back to the fire road and then pushed myself up another elevation gain, third one of the day.  I estimate this entire journey at +1100 feet, but, I think it may have been a bit more than that.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More