Saturday, January 14, 2012

Day 423: Outer Dos Vientos Trail

Just above Cal State Channel Islands
(Looking out past the fields to the Islands)

Day #423 * Hike #476 * New Track # 437
Wednesday January 11, 2012
Outer Dos Vientos Trail
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2.75 Miles * +225 Feet


Directions:
From the 101 Freeway in Newbury Park, exit on Borchard and take it all the way to the Dos Vientos neighborhood.  Turn right on Rancho Dos Vientos.  Follow this for about a mile and you will see Via El Cerro on the left.  This is a gated community but there is a wide opening where you can park.  However, there are store bought "No Parking" signs placed here, but for an hour I took my chance.  You cannot park on Rancho Dos Vientos so your only other choice would be about a half mile down the road.  Along the road are dirt trails, which I hiked a couple months ago.

363 days ago, nearly a year, I hiked  Day 60 Mid Dos Vientos Trail
I mapped out the area Mid Dos Vientos Trail Map.  The Mid Dos Vientos Trail ends at Via El Cerro and according to my map, the Edison Road begins on the other side.  Well, today I changed the name of this trail to the Outer Dos Vientos Trail. 

 The Dos Vientos Housing expansion on the right

 A minute jog and there are ocean views
(I pointed this out a couple months back but then turned around)

 Dos Vientos

 Noise from the construction --The trail is very easy; no strenuous hills

 Boney Mountain & Portrero Road, leads down to Camarillo

 The Edison Road Junction

This is why I renamed the trail "Outer Dos Vientos Trail".  I came from the right and then continued to follow the Edison Road a bit.  Not sure where exactly this goes to the right but I have a clue.  I've hiked along some of the Edison Roads in this area in the past and eventually, they will meetup above the Grade.  I marked this on Rancho Conejo Open Space Map

If you continue down this trail and turn right, it will take you above the grade and then you can hike back down to Camarillo Springs along the Day 5 Camarillo Springs Trail 


 A Poind below?

Ok, where exactly am I again?

I am in the middle of the most amazing area.  Imagine 1000 years ago when the Chumash Indians thrived on this land.  Hike over Boney Mountain, La Jolla Valley and then relax on the beautiful beaches of Malibu.  Or go the easy way across the plains and boat out to the islands.  Turn around inland and trek along the Arroyo Grande to Wildwood Park.  If you were up for a long day haul, hike to the Los Padres National Forest.  On the Outer Dos Vientos Trail, I am in the middle of all this!  Stop for a moment, breath and really think about how special this is!


Rewind:

Day #421 * Hike #474 * New Track # 436
Monday January 9, 2012
Lemon Wood Park - Oxnard

My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 1.25 Miles * +25 Feet

Outside of Ives Mobile Park is a park with grass and trees.  I was in the neighborhood so today landed me here.  Nothing to amazing but I walked with authority around the green and inspected over the fence.  I hold true to what I do, before sun down trekked another mile+ outdoors!  I still sleep, eat and think about my mission with every other thought.  I do plan my days, vacations, life around where I will be and where I am going to venture around, even if its minimally.  I figure that I can rest inside and watch another hour of worthless TV when I'm 90.


Day #422 * Hike #475 * Duplicate Track
Tuesday January 10, 2012
Arroyo Verde

My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 3.5 Miles * +525 Feet

Sammi and I went for a good run up the "hard trail"...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More