Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Day 901: The Aftermathof the Springs Fire

Seabee Rifle Range

Day #901 * Hike #1133 * New Track #882
The Aftermath - Malibu, CA

Camarillo Springs Fire - Deer Creek & Serrano Valley
Sunday May 5, 2013
My Tripometer: Half Day * 1.5 Miles * +75 Feet


 

 
Across from the Seabee Rifle Range, the difficult climb up the Chumash Trail to La Jolla Valley is one of my most exciting hikes in the entire Santa Monica Range.  This trail is located at the westernmost point of the mountains in Ventura County and it leads up to an amazing hidden wonder.  Read the Day 216 blogpost for more details.
 
June 18, 2011 (Before)
May 5, 2013(After)
 
 
 
 
 
 
My first visit to La Jolla Canyon was back in January of 2011.  More recently, I hiked here on Day 854: Ray Miller Trail (1st leg of the Backbone Trail)
 


Before
After
 

 
 
 
Sycamore Canyon Trailhead
 
Across from Sycamore Cove, I've hiked back here several times:
 
Along with my wife Jessi and son Ayden, we continued down the recently opened PCH and witnessed many places where the fire jumped over the road and landed into the ocean...
 
 Fire Destruction for miles, past the Great Sand Dune...



 Heading up Deer Creek Road

 Fire Trucks still on the scene
 

 Turn off - 1st part of my "New Track"

 Devastation

 Further up the road, New Hiking Trails for me...

 Close Call

 Serrano Valley - Completely Charred!!!


After
Before


 
















Nearly a week later, the fire still flames.  Small hot spots still exist out there.  What started from likely a cigarette stretched out nearly 30,000 acres.  I drove past the first flames within minutes after it started, I hiked the ground before the flames, I trekked the region as it was happening and here I am - I can't let it go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More