Monday, January 22, 2018

Independence Pass - Continental Divide - Colorado


Independence Pass - Elevation 12,095 Feet

Our ascent into the Rockies continued - Out of Aspen to Independence Pass.  Route 82 was a mix of partly cloudy, sleet and hail.  The windy road was fine for our 30 foot RV on this summer day, but signs forewarned that vehicles over 35 foot would not be permitted.  Made me thankful that we bought the right Winnie!



Oops, left my lights on!

This highway is closed from October till May.  I can only imagine how snowy this place can get, given that we are in mid July and barely over 30 degrees.  Our acclimation to the higher altitudes ascended right through 10,000 feet to 12k in minutes.  The sudden rush did vertigo my brain - I felt a bit off kilter, more so than my norm.  With Mt. Elbert two days away, this transition was very necessary.  By the way, Ayden, who has asthma, had no breathing issues whatsoever, nor did he hint of unlevel sanity in the brain.




Let's Investigate

It wouldn't be a hike if I didn't.  To date, this route traveled is by far the most scenic of them all.  It my rival the Million Dollar Highway from Ouray to Durango, but since I have not driven that entire stretch, my findings are inconclusive.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More