Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Updating, for the record: Domi went to the ER

Day #408 * Hike #??? * New Track #???Tuesday December 27, 2011
(Domino went to the ER) &Arroyo Verde Park with Sammi
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2.5 Miles * +325 Feet

???: I have been hiking every day so it's easy to know what day # I am on.  However, I'm two weeks behind updating this blog and I have literally hundreds of pictures from a dozen locations to update.  Usually I Blog in order but today was significant because we almost lost Domino.

Last night, we came home from a movie and found Domi in a pool of blood.  She has been on steroids because her back legs are weak and its common for her to walk around in a clumsy manner.  She often drags her butt on the cement which chafes her skin and tail.  Some how she rubbed her tail so raw that she ruptured a vein.  You can imagine the rest.  I was in tears laying beside her.  I thought that this would have to be it.  However, $500+ later and two visits to the ER and Vet, Domi is healing.  She is doped up and her way of life is not so great right now.  At least before she still showed excitement by eating and occasionally she jumped around.  She even did a tug-a-war on Christmas by unwrapping a bone.  Hopefully she will be happy again soon...

Today's hike was pretty much, just get it over with.  I took the same general routine behind the hills with Sammi.  I don't like repeating myself much but I know I have a few hikes to spare to stay on pace.


Day #394 * Hike #445 * New Track #424
Tuesday December 13, 2011
Arroyo Verde Park - Home
My Tripometer: 1 Hours * 2.5 Miles * +325 Feet

The longest day of my life continued.  It began with breakfast at Dunkin Donuts 2 days ago, waited in the Auckland Terminal for several hours because our flight was delayed, flew to Fiji, waited 7 hours in their terminal, flew nearly 10 hours to LAX, drove home to Ventura, greeted the kids, emptied our suit cases and handed out the souvenirs and then finally took Sammi to the hills for some much needed exercise.  By the time I got back home from the run, the time on the clock was pretty much the same as it was when we arrived in Fiji, earlier that same day.  We were up for about 48 hours straight, went to bed around midnight and then I was promptly back at work the next day. 

**Double Rewind:

Day #384 * Hike #420 * New Track #400Saturday December 3, 2011
Sky High Sports & Arnell Ranch Park - Camarillo
My Tripometer: 4 Hours * 1.5 Miles (not including Dodge ball) * +25 Feet

This was the day of our trip to New Zealand.  We spent the late morning with our kids in Camarillo at Sky High Sports and Arnele Ranch Park.  My hike for the day only includes the 45 minutes spent at the park.  This was a cool new location that we just happened to come across.  If I recall correctly, you take Arneal to some street that starts with a "D" and then turn left on Sweetwater.  Parking is on the left.  Here you will find a quaint park with a cement running oval and jungles gyms for the kids.  I figured that we were going to be stuck on the airline for basically 2 days so I jogged to keep the legs loose.

We then went over to Sky High Sports where I only expected to sit and watch the kids play.  If you haven't heard or been to this place, it is a must for kids.  I find myself battling in the Dodge ball arena.  It was intense jumping around and getting knocked in the head with a ball by a 10-year-old.  This was a great way to say goodbye to our children before leaving them for 10 days...

Day #385 * Hike #421 * New Track #401Sunday December 4, 2011
Fiji Airport
My Tripometer: 3.5 Hours * 2 Miles * +25 Feet

It's a stretch calling this a hike.  I figured my definition of a hike to qualify for a new track is at least one mile outdoors in a new location.  Our stay in Fiji was limited to the terminal only.  As we walked off the airplane, you are technically walking outside, for a short bit.  It smelt like a tropical fish tank.  The humidity was turned up!  The terminal is rather small, so no crazy adventures like Tom Hanks in that movie Terminal.  We scoured the entire place at least three times in search for an internet signal and souvenirs.  Come to find out that you do in fact have to pay to use Wifi there, so as cheap as I am, I just decided to keep walking circles.  We completely exhausted this fish tank and were dreading the flight home where the layover would be twice as long...

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the dog. :(

    We lost one of our cats just under three weeks ago. It was particularly sad for me because I was still in Kentucky and couldn't say goodbye.




Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer


Click Image to Learn More