Friday, October 26, 2012

Day 699 - 703: Hiking in Ventura...

Overlooking the Northend of the Avenue

Day #699 * Hike #842 * New Track #679
Monday October 15, 2012
Shoshone Trail - Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 30 minutes * 1.5 Miles * +125 Feet
 
 Trailhead

Directions:
From the 33 Freeway in Ventura, exit on Stanley and head over to Ventura Ave.  Turn left up the Avenue and then turn right on Shoshone.  Take Shoshone to the end and park on Cedar.  Technically, this is trespassing up here.  I actually walked from Deanza School and found this trail...
 It was an unexpected nice walk

 The trail was legit!

 It switchbacks even higher!

 Multiple ways to go up here...

One way, I forget which now, lead to a private residence.  Not sure where the other way would have taken me.  Ayden and I skipped cross country today to hang out with Alyssa.  In a couple days from now, she would be entering the hospital for a surgery and required to stay for a week.  This all stems back from her broken arm on St. Patty's day.  I wonder if that girl ever thinks about how she kicked Alyssa in the leg to make her fall.  I know she has no clue of the difficulty that Alyssa is still going through.  ---

Back down to the bottom...
 
There are other hills to climb in the area.  I once hiked the Avenue Trail to DeAnza.  There are many homeless people living behind the school, pretty scary huh!  I didn't go that way today.  Instead, I explored and found this.  Well, now that I got my hike over with, it was off to the beach with the kids.  This time, I actually just hung out at the beach so no hike for me there...
 
Day #700 * Hike #843 * Duplicate Track
Tuesday October 16, 2012
Arroyo Verde - Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 1.5 hours * 2.5 Miles * +250 Feet
 
I made it to 700 days!  Back at cross country practice and it wasn't easy for me.  It never is.  I always try to run with my all and gradually I've been losing weight.  I am 3 weeks behind now on New Tracks.  With just 300 Days to go, I'm going to need to find a way to narrow that gap!
 
Day #701 * Hike #844 * Duplicate Track
Wednesday October 17, 2012
Kimball Park - Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 45 minutes * 4 Miles * +75 Feet
 
I jogged a there - back - there to complete the 3.75 mile run.  I didn't time myself for this.  Okay, so I walked a little too.  On top of everything, my shin splints will not go away.  On most days, they hurt my than my sciatic nerve.  Ugh, it sucks getting old!
 
Day #702 * Hike #845 * Duplicate Track
Thursday October 18, 2012
Camino Real - Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2 Miles * +25 Feet
 
The middle schoolers were having a cross country meet and our head coach of the VC Express basically organized it for them.  It's been a while since I ran around Camino Real, but it is still a duplicate for me.  After counting 145 kids, I ran in the back as a sweeper.  This is the first time I actually ran during a live race!  Maybe one day I will be fast enough to be the Rabbit!  Nah, not likely.  Another coach on our team often rabbits races.  He went to Chico State and in his real running days, he would run 130 miles a week.  And yeah, he destroys me at practice too and doesn't even sweat doing it.  At some point, genetics determines the runner.  Not to say that hard work doesn't pay off because even if you have the DNA code, you still have to fight your way to find your true ability.  I give coach all the credit for finding himself and the commitment that he took to become a great runner.  For me - well, I'm a lazy hiker who just happens to run occasionally.  By the way, I broke the rules of sweeper.  I couldn't stand the slow turtle pace so I ended up passing 30 or so slow runners and run at the back of the main pack...
 
Day #703 * Hike #846 * Duplicate Track
Friday October 19, 2012
Arroyo Verde - Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 3 Miles * +350 Feet
 
This was a jog with Sammi in the hills.  I enjoyed a few beers when I was done.  A big weekend to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More