Thursday, November 8, 2012

Day 712: West Canyon View Trail

Woodranch Reservoir

Day #712 * Hike #862 * New Track #691
Sunday October 28, 2012
West Canyon View Trail - Simi Valley, CA
My Tripometer: 1.5 Hours * 4 Miles * +650 Feet
 
 West Canyon View Trailhead

Directions:
From the 118 Freeway in Simi Valley, exit on First Street and head south.  Take this all the way to the end, about four miles.  Just before you reach Woodranch, you will see this trail on your right.  It's easiest if you continue driving straight past Woodranch to park in the Woodranch Trailhead parking area.  For me, my wife dropped me off with my mountain bike while Ayden was diving...

 Ah, now I can see everything!

I tried pedaling up the hill but after a few hundred feet I said forget about it!  The sand was thick in spots and it was really way too steep to pedal.  Plus which, I needed to start accumulating walking distance to consider this a hike.  Once up here, it was a breeze of cake as you glance out over Woodranch Reservoir.  Also, the trail is outlined in front of you along the top of the ridge of this West Canyon Hill.

 Looking Back

 My bike was taking a breather

There was an alternative route down which I assume headed towards Woodranch.  Instead, I remained on the upper trail.  It roller coastered a bit and then it met a steep sandy downhill.  There was no way I was going to ride it so I carefully hiked my bike down to rejoin First Street (I believe First Street is actually called Long Canyon out here - but it's the same road).

Once on Long Canyon, I followed the horse trail sidewalk and then eventually took to the streets.  It was effortless at this point because the slight downhill grade guided me nearly all the way back to Royal Ave with no push.  My goal was to meet Jess at Madera and Royal so I hung a left.  I was a bit early so I snapped this pic:

The Cross at Mt. McCoy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More