Saturday, June 30, 2012

Red Rock Canyon - Ricardo Campground - Hagen Canyon Nature Trail - Desert View Trail - Dove Springs


Day #578 * Hike #674 * New Track #578
Friday June 15, 2012
Red Rock Canyon - Ricardo Campground
Hagen Canyon Nature Trail - Desert View Trail - Dove Springs
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 1 Mile * +25 Feet
 
Directions:
From Southern California take the 5 North to the 14 North and follow this all the way past Palmdale, Lancaster and Mojave.  Before you reach the 395, Red Rock Canyon will be on your left.
 
At the front of the park on the side of the 14 Freeway, you have the option to hike the Hagen Canyon Trail.  I got out, took a few steps and then said nah, let's see what else is back here...
 
 Pull into the campgrounds and go for a drive

 Red Rock

 Dove Springs, I didn't hike it

 Imagine how hot it would be here in the daytime!

 The geology is amazing!

 Ideal camping spots, shade!!!

 Looking across the land...

 This would be my campsite, but I would never camp here


 Desert View Nature Trailhead

Heading home to see my wife and sissy :)
 
Red Rock Summary --  In the middle of nowhere with nothing to do.  There were a few couples up here but I wouldn't suggest this place to be a family campgrounds.  If I had more time, I would have liked hiking further on some of the trails but I can't imagine that there is water back there.  The awesome rock formations makes this place a must stop by and see but you are probably okay just driving through it versus getting out and hiking.  Keep the AC on as the temperature tops 100 on the summer days...
 
This officially concludes My Yosemite Vacation.  I intend to return by driving the same loop but next time I will hit up different trails...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More