Friday, March 15, 2013

Day 845: Howard Creek Trail - Rose Valley - Los Padres National Forest - Ojai


Day #845 * Hike #1054* New Track #827
Howard Creek Trail - Ojai, California
Rose Valley - Los Padres National Forest
Sunday March 10, 2013
My Tripometer: 3.5 Hours * 6 Miles * +1500 Feet

 Howard Creek Trailhead

It was just over a month ago when I originally set up to hike this trail: Day 809: Howard Creek Trail (Failed).  However, that experience led me back today and mission accomplished!

Take the 33 North out of Ventura, past Ojai and keep going all the way up to Rose Valley Rd.  Turn right and look for the turn off on the right at 0.4 miles down Rose Valley.  Begin walking up this road for an eighth of a mile and turn left here:

 The Trail...

 It's a snow hike!

A few days back we had a legit winter storm.  I know this because I hiked through it in Newbury Park, New Track #825.  For the record, I dashed off work without camera to explore the low lying region off Los Vientos Road.  That was Thursday and on Friday, New Track #826, I did the same thing but I hiked up and looped around to cross off some of these side trails off my list.  Most of last week was consumed by hiking, jogging at Arroyo Verde.

I'm sure by Friday, the Howard Creek Trail was completely covered in snow.  On Saturday, the temperatures topped 70 and they were even warmer today, in the sun that is.  It still felt pretty chill in the shade, hence the stubborn snow drifts which would not melt...

 Hiking with Sammi and this random 3 year-old

 Cool Rock formations


There is a trail which goes back in here.  We actually walked a quarter mile in on our return, but it did not scramble the rocks like I thought.  Nor did we reach any unmapped camp site.  Quite honestly, not sure where it went so we turned back...

 Difficult March at times...

From the Trailhead, you begin to climb slightly, then go down slightly, then you work with long easy switchbacks to increase your altitude.  Well, it would have been easy if it wasn't so slippery.  Couple that with a 3 year old on your shoulders.  I will say, my little partner hiked two-thirds of this hike himself.  I pushed him to a fast pace, which was a slow pace for me, thus I boosted him up at the difficult spots...

 Looking back at phase one, out of that, forward march...

 A lake, reachable via Rose Valley Road I suppose...

 Come'on lil dude, you can make it...

 Keep going...

 and going...

 Wow, looking back!

The White Rock in the middle is Piedra Blanca

Day 418: Piedra Blanca: This was one of my more difficult hikes, especially considering why.  Looking back from this angle, Wow!  The hike started below that white rock and essentially climbed up and over the ridge.  I'm amazed that I could do that.  Albeit, Topatopa has more elevation gain, Piedra Blanca is a more demanding climb, if you climb to the top like I did...

 Anacapa Island!

How many different angles have I shown this island on my blog.  On clear days, from zero feet elevation to 6500 feet elevation.  Today, I'm somewhere between 4500 - 5000 feet.

 Looking over Ojai Valley, Anacapa is back there...

So, just hike to the top of the Howard Creek Trail, which by the way you never cross a creek.  At the top, push forward and you will come down to a road.  I turned right, continued lower and we ended up here...

 "I'm Hungry"

 "Well eat a sandwich then, just don't let the dog nab it!"

 Anacapa, helicopter lower left, Superman flying across the top...

 Nordoff Peak off to the right...


The Howard Creek Trail would be the quicker alternative to peaking Nordoff versus how I did this more than two years ago.  However, rather than hiking up to this post, we turned back.  First we explored the region...

 Ah, a place to camp...

 Hey, that's Two Trees!  Amazing!!!

 awwwwww

okay, let's head back down...
 
 
 
Chill Out Frozen Yogurt celebrated their ribbon cutting ceremony with the Port Huneme Chamber of Commerce on Saturday March 9, 2013.  We also learned that our Panini was Voted #1 in Ventura County!  In addition, we were voted for best Take Out and Lunch's Under $7.00!
 
Thank You all for helping make Chill Out Frozen Yogurt part of your life!  Please Like us on Facebook and find us on the web at www.ChillOutFrozenYogurt.com
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More