Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Days 601 - 604: Old Coach Drive & Eldred Lokker Memorial Park - Camarillo


Day #602 * Hike #704 * New Track #592
Monday July 9, 2012
Old Coach Drive - Camarillo, CA
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2.25 Miles * +275 Feet


 Trailhead - End of Old Coach Road

Directions:
From the 101 Freeway in Camarillo, exit on Las Posas and head north.  At the light where Las Posas turns right, continue straight instead on Crestview.  Drive up the hill to the stop sign and turn right on Valley Vista.  Drive all the way up the hill and across from the small fire station on the left, turn right to continue on Valley Vista.  About 1.5 miles from Crestview, turn right on Old Coach Drive.  Take this to the end of the road and park.  Technically, there is No Trespassing.  However, I ducked the fence to explore the open space.  I decided to head up hill to the east (the trail/dirt road to the right).

 Santa Rosa Valley on the far side

 There will be a fork in the road, I took the higher one on the right

 Overlooking Camarillo all the way to Point Mugu
(Hazy Day otherwise the views would be remarkable)

 The road turned into a single track trail - I veered right here


 A view over Camarillo Heights
Turning back, Oxnard here I come!

This was actually a pretty cool hike.  For the most part, the area has been left alone but I imagine that some day they will build houses up here.  If I had the money, I would buy this land myself and create an awesome trail system back here!  Due to the No Trespassing sign, I cannot recommend this hike but if I happen to find another open space entrance without the forewarning, I'll let you know :)


Rewind:

Day #601 * Hike #704 * Duplicate Track
Sunday July 8, 2012
Radio Towers at Arroyo Verde - Ventura
My Tripometer: 2.5 Hours * 4.25 Miles * +1000 Feet

My legs were feeling great after the long Pico Canyon Hike yesterday.  With Sammi and Ayden, we entered Arroyo Verde from my backyard and then climbed up the long narrow trail to the radio towers.  It was hot, especially for Ventura.  If I had it to do over again, I would have chosen the beach.


Day #603 * Hike #705 * New Track #593
Tuesday July 10, 2012
Eldred Lokker Memorial Park - Camarillo, CA
My Tripometer: 1 Hour * 2 Miles * +200 Feet

Directions:
Exit the 101 Freeway in Camarillo at Las Posas.  Head north and continue following Las Posas to the right at the Crestview intersections.  Less than a mile down, turn left on Cerro Vista Way.  This road will take you to the park.

The objective today was to find a gap in the neighborhood to reach the open space.  I was hoping to find a way to climb up to Old Coach Drive.


After jogging across the park, I hit the streets in search for an entrance.  My jog turned into a power walk stride when the streets began to climb at a steep grade.  I went up one, reached a cul-de-sac and then ran back down.  There was no entrance.  I repeated this process a few times and then finally gave up.  I had to quickly get back to Valle Lindo Park to pick up Alyssa from Soccer Practice.

This was her first official return to Eagles practice since her devastating injury.  She will be competition in an intense tournament this weekend in Costa Mesa.  Not by choice, we have completely parted ways with the Ventura Mighty Vipers.  Now that we are fully dedicated to the Club level in the highest possible division, this year will likely determine if Alyssa has what it takes to make the Junior Olympic Squad.  Stay tuned...


Day #604 * Hike #706 * Duplicate Track
Wednesday July 11, 2012
Kimball Park Two Mile Run- Ventura, CA
My Tripometer: 30 Minutes * 2.5 Miles * +25 Feet

In effort to increase my time from last week's run at Buena, I brought my track cleats to the high school only to find out that it was completely locked up.  I hate when they do that!  Horrible!!!  So, we drove over to Kimball for the run.  Obviously I would not be wearing track cleats on a sidewalk so I was forced to run in the sneakers that I was wearing.  Some old basketball shoes that I bought nearly a decade ago.  Let me tell you, pounding hard on the cement in these was painful!  I do have great Adidas cross-trainers but what are you going to do.  With the kids ripsticking along the walkway, Jess and I ran together.  I went out with guns blazing (compared to last time)...

2.00.70
2.01.62
2.00.21
1.57.06  1st Mile-7.59.59
2.20.13
2.14.10
2.12.32
Jeremy Final Quarter: 1.42.29  2nd Mile: 8.28.82  Two Mile Time: 16.28.43
Jessica Final Quarter: 1.57.07  2nd Mile: 8.43.60  Two Mile Time: 16.43.21

**This time was seven seconds slower than my run last Thursday.  My first mile was 23 seconds faster so it appears that I overran myself at first.  However, We were essentially running down hill for mile #1 and then on mile #2 we conquered the uphill.  In addition, we made a hard 180 degree U-turn for after the 4th split so all things considering, I am showing some promise.  I am now encouraged to keep up the running.  I feel great for it.  I cannot open up these kinds of speeds for a long period of time on the trails.  Okay, I'm going to bed now so i can do it all again tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More