Friday, December 21, 2012

Day 747: Edison Nature Trail - Old Jacksonborough Captial of South Carolina during the American Revolution - Hilton Head Island



Day #747 * Hike #922 * New Track #728
Sunday December 2, 2012
Edison Nature Trail
 - Old Jacksonborough, South Carolina
Capital of South Carolina during the American Revolution
My Tripometer: 0.5 Hours * 1 Mile * +25 Feet

 Provisional Capital of South Carolina during the American Revolution

Directions:
About 45 minutes west on of Charleston, SC along Route 17.

 We spotted this sign off to the right...

 So we took a hike...

 It's an interpretive trail...

 Devils Walking Stick

 We took the short trail

 Some people call it a family room

 O.H. - I.O. (The have buckeyes in South Carolina)

 Heading back...

 The Old Rice Field


The boardwalk reminds me of the hikes we took in New Zealand.  This was a cool little stop along a long, boring road trip in route to Hilton Head.  Hiking along these random trails to me was more exciting then most of our actual planned destinations...

 Pretty Please, with a Cherry on Top :)

We stopped by this shack further down the road.  Honestly, it was not worth the stop...


Day #747 * Hike #923 * New Track #729
Sunday December 2, 2012
South Beach & Harbour Town - Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
My Tripometer: 1.5 Hours * 1.25 Mile * +25 Feet

 We arrived at Sundown

 South Beach is a Ghost Town in December



Alyssa marched up to the bar tender and spoke in a rough cowboy voice, "I'll take two shots of cocoa please."

Who would go to Hilton Head in the winter months?  Well, we did.  Just passing through.  I had never been here before and honestly I don't think I'll ever return.  I actually liked it better with no one around.  It was like our very own city.  I suppose Hilton Head is a destination for the rich, old or lazy folks.  This is a golf town, but I am no golfer. 

The plan for the morning was to rent bikes but after walking around South Beach and Harbour Town at night, we opted out of the morning pedal.  Overall, Hilton Head was a waste of time.  We may have been better off heading down I-95 to bypass Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach altogether.  However, if we would have done that we would have missed the Red Lions and all the other cool little hikes.  So, I would say that everything has been working out so far on this trip.  The best is definitely yet to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More