Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Day 750: Canopy Walk - Myakka River State Park - William S. Boylston Nature Trail - Cleveland, Florida

Canopy Walkway

Day #750 * Hike #935* New Track #741
Wednesday December 5, 2012
William S. Boylston Nature Trail
Canopy Walk - Myakka River State Park
Cleveland, Florida
My Tripometer: 1.25 Hours * 1.5 Miles * +75 Feet


Heading North on I-75 from the Fort Myers area, we took the US 17 exit and travled east for 3 miles...

 Welcome to Cleveland!

 This was our 3rd Cleveland in 3 States on this trip :)

There wasn't much in the way of a town here so we quickly turned back toward the interstate.  With the sun going down quickly, I would not be denied Myakka...


Continue North on I-75 and just before you reach Sarasota, exit on State Route 72.  Head East for 9 miles and you will see the park entrance on the left.  Normally you will have to pay a small fee to enter the park but the ranger let us in.  About a mile up the road, the trailhead for the canopy walk will be on your right.

 Nice Trail, Awesome Forest!!!

 Less than a half mile to the canopy...


 Climb into the first tower












After we completed the canopy loop trail, we started our drive back toward the main gate.  At the bridge there were several campers gawking out and fishing the river below.  Somewhere further up in the park was a campgrounds and below our feet were GATORS!!!



 I found another trail to explore...

 The family remained back at the bridge (Super Zoom)


It was dark; so you see the bridge out there?  I used my flash to take this shot.  My new camera works pretty well, sometimes...  Jess began to yell, "Wild Pig!"  So I guess there was a boar roaming in this marsh and it was heading right towards me.  Gators were lurking about - Why am I off the trail and creeping around in here, in the dark?

I wish I had more time at Myakka.  This wilderness was my favorite spot for the entire trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More