Sunday, December 23, 2012

Day 750: Alligators!!! Big Cypress National Reserve - Tamiami Trail - Everglades City, Florida

Two Gators Sneaking up on us; RUN!!!!

Day #750 * Hike #933* New Track #739
Wednesday December 5, 2012
Big Cypress National Reserve - Tamiami Trail
Everglades City, Florida
My Tripometer: 3 Hours * 1.5 Miles * +0 Feet


We drove out of Miami down Route 41 and stopped frequently to view the wildlife...


 Big Cypress National Reserve - Visitor Center

 Gator Nation!








I think we could have spent all day here pacing back and forth along the 1/8th of a mile long wooden boardwalk. However, we had much more on our agenda for the day...

 As the sign reads, Welcome to Everglades City

 Let's go for an air boat ride!







 Catfish


 No manatees around, however we did spot a...

 Dolphin



The air boat ride was cool, but not like how I remembered it.  I think it would be better to take a ride somewhere in the middle of the Everglades versus here in Everglades City, which is on the Gulf Coast.  We did see one alligator, plenty of wildlife, catfish and even a dolphin.  We flew fast through the swamp but like I said, it didn't quite compare to my first visit which was more than a decade ago.  Overall, we had a great time and it was now time to drive north to begin our day.  Good Morning!

 
 
So I guess Route 41 is aka Tamiami Trail.  I would not want to hike on foot along this route without a road underneath my toes.  The Everglades is not meant for mankind, yet we build cities.  What's wrong with us?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More