Wednesday, March 9, 2016

SALTON SEA - ELEVATION -228 FEET

Fish Bone Beach
Salton Sea State Recreation Area
Memorial Day Weekend - 2014

Salton Sea Elevation -228 Feet
Directions:
From the I-10 in Indio (just east of Palm Springs), head south on Route 89.  Pass Cochella, yes the music festival city, and then head south east on Route 111.  This will lead you to the main park entrance.  I think we paid $5 and we were like the only ones there.

Let's go for a Hike!

The beach is comprised of fine fish bone - not white sand!


Many birds and one man over yonder, fishing the salt lake

This place stinks

Take a dip
It was a hot day - duh, we're in the desert.  Hoping to test the theory about floating in a salt lake, alls we did was put our feet in.  Walking across the hard dead shells of bones was disgusting and treacherous.  There was no soft landing in the water, just sharp rock.  Very gross - stinky - hence we dipped our feet and ran for the park bench:




Interpretive Trail
I don't imagine ever coming back here but I am glad I made the effort.  Water levels are low and the place is sad.  I remember at the time of researching this place, there was a live viable history surrounding it.  The lake was once alive and flourishing, but then Hollywood stars pounced the area and the public overstayed it's welcome.  Surf the internet for the history.  As I do recall, it was a fine read but in my old age, I just cannot remember all the facts - and who the stars were...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND

ALEX'S LEMONADE STAND
Raising Money for Pediatric Cancer

RWANDA WATER HIKE

RWANDA WATER HIKE
Click Image to Learn More